276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Prince and the Dressmaker

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Peter Trippley when Frances starts working for him. While he's surprised that she debuts her original designs rather than the refined ones he wants, he allows it on seeing their success.

The Prince and the Dressmaker - Jen Wang - Google Books The Prince and the Dressmaker - Jen Wang - Google Books

With echoes of Cinderella firmly in place, the story begins with a ball. All “eligible young women” are invited to Prince Sebastian’s 16 th birthday celebration in Paris. Aristocratic young ladies all over the city are clamoring for new gowns and perfect hair for the ball. Frances is a low-level seamstress charged with making a new gown for a petulant girl whose mother wants her to catch the eye of the prince, but the young lady has other plans. She tells Frances, “Just make it ghastly. Make me look like the devil’s wench.” Frances does just that. She spends all night creating a dress that would be plenty risqué on a modern red carpet much less in the historical setting of this story. Of course the dress causes a scandal and costs Frances her job. Since Austen never changes, Sunati admires what she assumes is her bravery and confidence. As Sunati and Austen chat more, Austen bluntly asks Sunati if she only wants to get to know her more because of her medical condition, which prevents her from using mods. As they gradually grow closer, Sunati learns how to interact more respectfully with those who have overactive immune systems as well as to share her feelings more honestly. Austen, in turn, learns to trust Sunati. This beautifully illustrated slice-of-life tale that shows two young women of color getting to know each other and creating a relationship is so warm and charming that readers will hardly notice how much they are learning about how to better interact with folx who are different from themselves and the importance of not making assumptions. The story also successfully weaves in agender, genderfluid, and asexual characters as well as the subjects of parenting and colorism into the natural arc of Sunati and Austen’s developing story. The soft, romantic artwork evokes hazy watercolors. The speech bubbles are predominantly pink and blue, and the varied layout will maintain readers’ interest. In Chapter One, Frances designs a dress for a customer who wants her to make a “ghastly” dress. In Chapter Two, Sebastian asks for a dress that is “fruit-jam” inspired. Look through books or search the internet to learn an interesting new word. Design an outfit that reflects the meaning of the word and share it, along with the word and its definition. Clark Kenting: No one seems to recognize Sebastian as Lady Crystallia even though all he wears are wigs, cosmetics, and whatever Pimped-Out Dress Frances whips up. This is possibly a Justified Trope, as Jen Wang came up with the initial idea for the story after watching RuPaul's Drag Race, and there are several drag queens who look unrecognizable compared to their real selves when they're wearing elaborate costumes, wigs, and makeup.Gender Spectrum, whose mission is “to create gender sensitive and inclusive environments for all children and teens” www.genderspectrum.org Wang, Jen (2018). The Prince and the Dressmaker. New York, NY: First Second Books. p.281. ISBN 978-1-62672-363-4. From the illustrator of the web comic Strong Female Protagonist comes a debut middle-grade graphic novel about family, identity, courage -- and magic. Shapiro, J. (July 19, 2019). "Five Comics (and One YA Novel) Featuring Trans and Gender Non-Conforming Characters". Biblio File. New York Public Library. Archived from the original on November 20, 2020 . Retrieved January 3, 2021.

The Prince and the Dressmaker: Heartwarming and Highly The Prince and the Dressmaker: Heartwarming and Highly

The two of them strike a deal. Frances will keep Sebastian’s secret and design his dresses while he pays her generously and helps her realize her dream of being a real designer. Perhaps they become each other’s fairy godmothers in a way? But it is Frances’ talent that takes center stage from the moment she is given the freedom to design whatever she can imagine. In the golden dress Frances creates for him, Sebastian becomes a new person, the person he has always felt like he was inside. It’s a powerful moment for both of them that Jen Wang captures in illustrations that seem to come fully alive for the first time in the book in much the same way that Sebastian and Frances do. The transformation from Prince Sebastian to Lady Crystallia seems to change the tone of the book as the colors go from dark and dreary to almost electric, full of warmth and energy. You can’t help but get caught up in the magic of the of the dresses and emotions so evident on the characters’ faces. Literal-Minded: Frances has one as an Establishing Character Moment: she asks Lady Sophia how she wants her dress. Sophia says to make it as ghastly as possible. Frances spends hours working on such a number, which is "ghastly" by elegant Parisian standards but is still a dress, and makes Lady Sophia happy. If this is part of a new era of fairy tales in which we tell unconventional and slightly irreverent coming-of-age stories with acceptance and empathy taking center stage, I’m all for it. Hand this book to the kids who think they’ve outgrown fairy tales who are ready for something out of the ordinary.Otra cosa que me ha encantado es que representa maravillosamente el tema de género fluido, y jamás había leído una historia donde saliera este tipo de representación tan necesaria para muchas personas, así que ¡chapó! para la autora por hacerlo tan bien y con tanto tacto. Craft and structure: Interpreting words and phrases as they are used in a text, including determining technical, connotative, and figurative meanings and analyzing how specific word choices shape meaning or tone; analyzing the structure of texts, including how specific sentences, paragraphs and larger portions of the text relate to each other and the whole; Assessing how point of view or purpose shapes the content and style of a text. As the final coup de grâce, I just wanted to say that I did not believe Sebastian and Frances were romantically or sexually interested in each other AT ALL, NOT EVEN IN THE SLIGHTEST, and that this seemed totally wedged in for no reason. I guess we are ALSO supposed to believe that he is going to marry a commoner and a laborer. HA HA HA HA HA HA. His parents are so understanding! His dad even publicly wore a gown for no reason and with absolutely zero social consequences! There are ABSOLUTELY no obstacles to publicly defying gender norms in 1830s Paris. First off, why does the protagonist look exactly like the protagonist from Stargazing?? The only difference I can discern is the longer hair, but it is basically the same exact face. (And, no, it is not the same character).

The Prince and the Dressmaker - Macmillan

Fashion Statement: In an interview with Forbes, author Jen Wang said, “I’d been wanting for a while to do a story about a character whose superpower is making clothes that transform the wearer.” Fashion plays a central role in The Prince and the Dressmaker.Ask students to draw a three columned chart, labelling the columns: Fashion, Helpful, Harmful.Watch Kaustav Dey talk about how fashion is a form of expression. Rewatch, giving students time to fill in explanations of how fashion from the talk was helpful to the wearer as well as times it was hurtful. Discuss how reactions to fashion change depending on context (who, when, where, why, or how the fashion was worn). Then, have them add items from the book, and finally, examples from their lives. For example, when a uniform, a band t-shirt, or a bathing suit may be helpful or harmful to wear in different contexts. Then, a man - Marcel, a prince actually - hits on him in a bar thinking he's a woman. Sebastian is drunk. Nothing sexual happens, but it is revealed that 'Lady Crystallia" is really Prince Sebastian. So this is a kind of fantasy story, where more things work out happily than generally works out in real life, but who cares? Sometimes books can just be feel-good, can't they? Everything doesn't have to go all Ethan Frome on us all the time, does it?! The pattern for role-swapping in lit maybe started much earlier than Shakespearean comedies such as Twelfth Night, but the obvious reference here in this book is to Mark Twain's The Prince and the Pauper, that I seem to recall reading with my sister when I was ten. Or maybe it was some Disney version, that we read and/or saw. It's a story of class envy, and satire (mainly of the upper class), but is also an exciting adventure that spawned hundreds of spinoffs. Following the teaching and discussion suggestions above, The Prince and the Dressmakercan be used in classrooms to meet Common Core Standards, as detailed below. Note that this section uses the Common Core Anchor Standards for College and Career Readiness for Reading, Writing, and Speaking and Listening:I was so excited to read this graphic novel, and it did not disappoint in the slightest. This is honestly my favorite graphic novel I have read all year—probably in the last two years, even—and I know it is one I would reread again and again in the future. The artwork is beautiful, the story is so sweet, and I just loved every single bit of it from start to finish. I don’t quite know how to weigh the story and art. Because if the art is pretty but the story is underwhelming, how does that compare to one where the story is brilliant but the art leaves something to be desired?

The Prince and The Dressmaker Jen Wang PDF | PDF - Scribd The Prince and The Dressmaker Jen Wang PDF | PDF - Scribd

This is so damn cute. I love Frances so damn much. And Sebastian deserves the world. What a beautiful drag queen. They are the sweet cinnamon rolls this world doesn't deserve but needs. De verdad, The Prince and the Dressmaker es una historia tan linda y natural que no hay lugar a confusiones, enredos mentales o cualquier tipo de juicio negativo. Jen Wang nos presenta la historia de estos dos personajes de una manera que es imposible no amarlos desde la página uno, es imposible no querer que puedan ser ellos mismos sin miedo a lo que puedan pensar. Y es que, claro, desde la perspectiva de la realeza...¿quién iba a querer a un príncipe que se viste de chica por las noches?Towards the end of the book, in Chapter 11, the King tells Frances, “When I first learned the truth, I thought Sebastian’s life would be ruined.But seeing you, I realized everything would be fine.Because someone still loved him.” Describe Frances’ words or actions throughout the story that show her love for Sebastian.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment