276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Jealous Mind: 16 Classic Tracks

£7.49£14.98Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Savill, Richard (8 September 2006). "Alvin Stardust's son swaps glam for grammar". The Daily Telegraph. London. Archived from the original on 22 April 2013 . Retrieved 28 September 2013. Jewry later also appeared in Billy Fury's movie Play It Cool (1962) and the Tommy Steele film It's All Happening (1963). He was managed by Larry Parnes. [7] Persona change [ edit ] Pretend" was a hit in the United Kingdom in 1981, reaching number four in the UK Singles Chart. It reached number one in the Dutch Top 40 in November 1981. The song was also successful in Portugal in 1983. [12] Turner, Robin (1 November 2014). "Alvin Stardust's Welsh wedding picture as he's laid to rest in church he got married in". walesonline . Retrieved 29 October 2018. Wilby, Peter (13 June 2017). "Elite private headteacher: 'The children we educate will create a fairer society' ". The Guardian . Retrieved 25 December 2017.

Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19thed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p.524. ISBN 1-904994-10-5. In 1995, he joined the cast of the soap opera, Hollyoaks, playing the character Greg Andersen from October 1995 to July 1996. [ citation needed] The chameleonic artist also had a solid stage and screen career. He helmed shows on BBC Radio 2 and Radio 5, and at one stage hosted a Sunday morning children’s TV series It’s Stardust on Britain’s free-to-air ITV. He appeared in various U.K. TV series, including Hollyoaks.His manager, Andy Davies, said: “Alvin and I had only started working together over the last couple of years because he and I believed that musically he still had a great deal to give and explore, and so we recorded an album that is a testament to an artist who gave his career to music. The band broke up, but when a letter arrived from the BBC asking them to record a demo, Theakstone’s parents asked Jewry to take on the role of Shane in a re-formed group. They won a record deal and in 1961 had a first hit with I’m a Moody Guy.

He had two sons and two daughters, [21] the youngest of whom had Cliff Richard as one of her godparents. [22] Lord Levy, who founded Magnet Records and now sits in the House of Lords, said: “He was one of the most professional artists that I had the privilege of working with. He was a real gentleman. Alvin Stardust the album got a bit lost in the run up to Christmas 1974 and as a result only scraped into the UK Top 40. Nevertheless I found this a hugely enjoyable set, probably for me Stardust’s best. The bonuses here mop up the 45 flipsides and include the number eleven hit Good Love Can Never Die, a jangly pop tune imbued with a restless rhythm. The energetic Come On! is a highlight, and Route 66 is ably spoofed to include Newcastle and the A1 on a very wry Roadie Roll On. a b "Alvin Stardust | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company". www.officialcharts.com . Retrieved 9 September 2021. a b Singh, Anita (23 October 2014). "Alvin Stardust dies after short illness". The Daily Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235 . Retrieved 29 October 2018.

Tracklist

As Shane Fenton, Jewry released eight singles with the Fentones and four solo singles (one of which was under another alias 'Jo-Jo Ellis'). The Fentones also released two instrumental singles which have been included here. No studio albums were released by the group, but one EP and two compilation albums have been released since they split. Stardust, who had a successful second career in musical theatre, and appeared occasionally as a TV actor, had just recorded his first new album for 30 years. Called simply Alvin, It is due to be released on Monday. All further Alvin Stardust records were sung by Jewry. Stardust had further chart successes with the hits " Jealous Mind" (UK No. 1), [9] "You, You, You", "Red Dress" and "Good Love Can Never Die". In total, he amassed seven Top Ten entries, in a chart span lasting almost 25 years. [10] Stardust was part of the Green Cross Code road safety campaign Children's Heroes (1976), which saw him instructing children to look both ways before they crossed the road. [11] Later work [ edit ] Stardust at Guilfest 2012 He later took a number of roles in musical theatre, including as the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and on television shows including Hollyoaks and Doctors.

Stardust also starred in the UK tour of Godspell and played Uriah Heep in David Copperfield– The Musical and Sir Billy Butlin in The Butlin Story at the London Palladium. In 2005 he starred as the Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, also at the London Palladium. [11]Stardust died at home after a brief illness; this was confirmed by his manager on 23 October 2014. He was 72 years old. [25] His funeral was held in St Thomas Church, Swansea, where he had married Julie Paton. [26] His death came weeks before he was due to release his first album for 30 years, and six days after what became his last show at the Regal Cinema, Evesham. [26] He had been diagnosed with prostate cancer 18 months earlier, which later metastasised. [11] He was cremated in Morriston Crematorium and his ashes scattered in the grounds. Selby, Jenn (23 October 2014). "Alvin Stardust dead: Singer passes away following short battle with cancer aged 72". The Independent. London. Archived from the original on 23 October 2014 . Retrieved 23 October 2014. Thompson, Dave. "Biography of Shane Fenton and the Fentones". Allmusic . Retrieved 31 December 2010.

A songwriter for Levy’s record label, Peter Shelley, had written My Coo Ca Choo and wanted a distinctive performer to front it. Between them the pair created the Alvin Stardust name – the original choice was Elvin, melding Elvis Presley and Gene Vincent – before dressing their charge in leather and telling him to appear mean and surly, a counterpoint to the glam image popular at the time. He married three times, and had four children. Of his two sons from his first marriage, one is the headteacher of a grammar school in Surrey while the other is a drum and bass DJ and producer.Bernard William Jewry was born 27 September 1942 in Muswell Hill, then in Middlesex (now in the London Borough of Haringey). [1] [2] Having moved at a young age to Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, where his mother ran a boarding house frequented by musicians and entertainers appearing locally, [3] Jewry attended the Southwell Minster Collegiate Grammar School (now Southwell Minster School) in Southwell, Nottinghamshire, near Newark-on-Trent, as a boarder. He made his stage debut in pantomime at the age of four. The band had some intermittent chart success, but interest waned, and by 1970 Jewry was living in Liverpool with his wife and baby son when he received a summons from Michael Levy, the pop impresario who, as Lord Levy, was later a close friend of Tony Blair. I may not have known him long but even in that short time he proved to be one of the most genuine and likeable men I’ve ever met. His passing is a huge and sad loss.” Bletchly, Rachael (5 October 2012). " 'He saw her standing there and a pop classic was born': Teenager who inspired famous song and dated TWO Beatles". Daily Mirror . Retrieved 29 October 2018. The singles " I Feel Like Buddy Holly" (written and produced by Mike Batt) and "I Won't Run Away" reached number 7 in the UK Singles Chart in 1984. "So Near To Christmas" was a minor hit, No. 29, in the same year.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment